PRINCIPAL AT WILLOWDALE CHRISTIAN SCHOOL
We are a vibrant, active elementary school serving Christian families and their children from grades JK to 8 in Toronto, that is actively looking for our next principal.
Willowdale Christian School (WCS) is a dynamic, multicultural, urban school that was established in 1959. Enrollment is currently around 175 students which represents over 100 families and over 60 different churches. Community is what makes us special. Parents enroll their children and are immediately aware of the “sense of family” and the love of the Lord that is evident in all aspects of the school. The school is also supported by the broader community; past parents and graduates regularly attend school events and speak fondly of their days involved or attending WCS.
This has provided an amazing opportunity for a devoted Christian leader to step into the role and continue to provide clear, Christ-centered vision and leadership for our school. WCS is financially stable and well primed for expansion, making it an exciting time to be part of this chapter.
WCS is blessed with experienced and capable teaching and administrative staff (15+) who are passionate about delivering excellence in Christian education in the heart of Toronto.
The Board of Trustees governs the school and together, with the Principal, provides strategic direction and leadership to WCS, all informed by a Reformed Biblical worldview and with a desire to see our students become responsible citizens who are discerning, passionate Christians.
Educational & Experience Requirements
- B.A. / B.Ed. – required
- M.A. / M.A.T. – preferred
- M.Ed. – preferred
- OCT – required
- CSTC / CSPC – preferred (required to complete if hired)
- Has held a Vice Principal or Principal role at another school
- Has more than 3 years teaching experience
- Previously worked in a Christian School where the candidate has demonstrated spiritual leadership
If you are interested in this exciting and challenging opportunity, we invite you to submit the following documents to the email indicated below:
- Resume and cover letter
- Statement of your philosophy of Christian education
- Statement of personal faith
Upon selection, we will require:
- A pastoral reference letter from your local church
- Three references (2 professional & 1 personal)
- Vulnerable sector screening
Principal’s Roles and Responsibilities
The following provides an overview of the ideal candidate in their role:
- A mature Christian with a worldview aligned with the foundations of the school, who will articulate the theological/Biblical Reformed foundations of the school to current and prospective parents and staff
- Provide spiritual leadership to the staff, students, and the community through modeling, mentoring and prayer
- Manages administrative and teaching staff (with the assistance of the Vice Principal)
- Inspires and motivates WCS staff members, Board members and the community to carry out the successful implementation of our strategic plan
- Has a demonstrated ability to personally invest in, mentor, motivate and encourage teachers and staff to engage in continual growth, development, and improvement
- Applies their knowledge and experience to ensure WCS continues to provide excellent education to students of all ability levels using current practices and pedagogy
- Researches changes in education trends and assesses emerging relevant educational technology, exploring opportunities to improve WCS programs
- Demonstrates a passion that encourages all students, regardless of their abilities, to flourish as learners
Operational & Administrative leadership
- Lead and promote WCS marketing plan to grow local and international student enrollment
- Ensures that the school adheres to or exceeds all legal and regulatory compliance requirements including health and safety standards
- Organizes and delegates day-to-day operations of the school
- Provides regular updates to the Board about school operations and presents any proposed changes to the Board for approval
- Demonstrates team building skills and an ability to draw on the individual strengths of the staff to forge the teachers and staff into a unified team
- Builds positive relationships within the community (Edvance, Churches, Parents etc) as a spokesperson for WCS
- Active in all social events and a member of the WCS community
- Is an integral part of the WCS “Equip to Flourish” building transformation project
As a member of Edvance Christian Schools, compensation for the position will align with Edvance recommendations.
To apply for this position, please e-mail all of the required documents listed above to the WCS Principal Search Committee: firstname.lastname@example.org
Deadline: November 15, 2023
Start Date: July 1, 2024
We would like to thank all applicants for their interest and for taking the time to apply.
SUPPLY TEACHERS / OCCASIONAL TEACHERS
We are a vibrant, active elementary school serving Christian families and their children from grades JK to 8.
We are actively seeking qualified teachers to add to our supply/occasional list for when our staff are absent due to illness or other reasons. If you are looking for a way to use your teaching skills in a Christian environment on an occasional basis, we’d love to hear from you.
- Current registration with the Ontario College of Teachers
- Vulnerable Sector Screening (VSS) (less than 3 years old)
- A love for the Lord and a desire to serve Him in a school setting
- Ability to teach on short notice and to be able to be flexible in terms of grade level and subject taught (we are particularly in need of supply teachers who can teach French)
If you are interested, please contact me directly so that we can set up a time for you to visit the school:
Donna Miles, Principal